Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The happiest place on Earth

I know every single person in the world has had their say about Disney releasing a Mickey Mouse shirt co-opting the iconic Unknown Pleasures record cover. Sadly, they've been withdrawn and can only be found on ebay or your local bootleg stall at any dodgy market. All I can say, maybe it got yanked once someone explained exactly where the name Joy Division came from which makes Disney's use of it by turns hilarious and disturbing. Oh Disney, imagine if Joy Division had used Mikey Mouse in their artwork, you'd have sued the pants off them...

I guess this is a moment where the underground makes a splash in the mainstream and then the mainstream finds out just how murky it is down there.

--

4 comments:

  1. oh, ok, I'm guessing you haven't seen the "Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars"?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUZmvAEIN4

    Truly.

    I have Adam to thank for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember Southern Death Cult? The Ghost Dance Ep? Yeah....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that ep cover but never heard any Disney suing stories to go with that. Any fall out?

    ReplyDelete