Friday, April 27, 2012

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts quick review



Norah Jones? Are you fucking kidding me Jon? I am not. I must admit I know very little about Ms Jones apart from that her first album sold a bajillion copies (my Mum has a copy). However, her new album passed my ears a couple of days ago and I have to say it's pretty good. I'm working on the assumption that it is a departure for the artist but it has a few things going for it.

First thing to note: Danger Mouse is the producer and his dirty little paws are all over the production. Say Goodbye, Take It Back and Happy Pills amongst others sound like Broken Bells outtakes - this is not a bad thing.

The second thing to note: Norah Jones comes across as a less spiky and spirited Aimee Mann.

Thirdly: Little Broken Hearts is a pretty apt title as there is a lot of heartbreak and confusion on the record which makes it compelling and at times, very moving. I admit I like this because I like Aimee Mann but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Give me this one...

--

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'll give you this one. If you want my vote for a more smooth Aimee Mann, I'd say Sam Phillips, but to each their own. Can't say I'm totally behind you on it, but hell, I've got plenty of questionable tastes....

    ReplyDelete