Thursday, January 10, 2013

Oh David...

I claim dibs on writing a PhD on the cover of David Bowie's new record. I am not being facetious at all, I fucking love this thing. If you're a long time Bowie fan, you know his artwork as well is his music is very deliberate and if there is no bigger 'fuck you' aesthetic that defacing one of your most beloved creations by using Word Art (no photoshop required here). I mean, look at it, it's perfect. It's the artistic equivalent of saying "so you like my old stuff better... well, get the fuck off my lawn." Oh David, you old curmudgeon you.

--

4 comments:

  1. Jonathan, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but http://north.com/thinking/david-bowie-the-next-day/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goddamnit, those bastards. Strange, I had actually written a longer serious piece about this which I scrapped but in it I called my fledgling thesis 'Memory and perception: the cover of David Bowie's The Next Day.' I was banging on about a lot of the same ideas as this article which is slightly gratifying that I wasn't far off the mark and I'm not entirely stupid. That is until I decided to go for the easy joke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the salve- That was written by none other than Dave Allen- of Gang of Four and Shriekback. He's also a frigging genius, so there's that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that but I was thinking how well written that piece is.

    ReplyDelete