Monday, December 26, 2011

What do you look forward to? 2012 is coming and it just might rock...


2011 was a funny year in music: some highs, some disappointments but I can't say anything really changed my life and that's what I want, music that changes my life. Anyhow, here's a list of what I'm looking forward to in 2012.

Queens of the Stone Age: You can all rest easy. Two nights ago I had a dream that Josh Homme played me the new Queens record on tape. It sounded amazing and even though in my dream, one song went for 45 minutes, I woke up assured that the wait will be worth it (not that we can complain - we've had the Crooked Vultures and the first album reissue in that time). Homme is on record saying that the record will be bluesy but also saying it will be a return to the robot rock of the earl days. Most likely it will be neither as what Homme says prior to release and what transpires on record is usually very, very different.

Cat Power: While I love those early indie records, the roots-soul direction of the last couple of records have made me love her unconditionally. I can't even begin to describe the effect her voice has on me as it is an instrument of pure emotion and beauty, it is mesmerizing. The charity single released on Christmas eve is a re-make of an earlier song so still little indication of what is to come.

Mark Lanegan: The dark lord returns with his first solo album since the excellent Bubblegum. The first track, the Gravedigger's Song, sounds like a natural extension of that record and that bodes very well.

Old bands: I have wrote that I think that Soundgarden recording is a bad, bad idea. Will I buy it? Of course... On that, do I care about the reformed Black Sabbath making a new album? Maybe I do, maybe I do... Do I care that the Smashing Pumpkins will have a new record? Not at all...

Other anticipated records include: Mazzy Star, Pinback, Japandroids, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Shins, The Knife, Sigur Ros (rumoured), The Evens, Leonard Cohen, Magnetic Fields, Sleigh Bells... More to come...

But one last question - should I care about Lana Del Rey? Everyone else seems too...

--

No comments:

Post a Comment