Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A song a day: I Break Horses – Winter Beats

I’ve been thinking a lot about music genealogy of late (are the Pixies really my version of the Beatles? Then that makes Jane’s Addiction my Led Zeppelin!) and there are so many bands that seem to be touched by the hand of Loveless. This seems especially true of a number electronic bands that use lush atmospherics to create the Bloody Valentine wall of sound and beauty. My favourite of these post MBV bands was always Bowery Electric’s Beat album – a kind of long lost electronic niece to Loveless. Anyhow, I see I Break Horses as coming from that lineage and their record is a satisfying listen if you like that aesthetic. Winter Beats is probably the closest they get to a ‘single’ and that ain’t no bad thing. --

No comments:

Post a Comment