Thursday, October 13, 2011

A song a day: Laura Viers - Black gold blues



I'm not exactly how sure famous Laura Veirs is beyond my group of friends. My knowledge is primarily fuelled by a friend who has a silent passion that burns for her. As such, my exposure to her is as much based upon his undying love for Veirs rather than reading about or stumbling across her music on TV or the Radio. However, once you're hooked, you're hooked and Veirs produces erudite indie songs - much of it informed by her qualification as a geologist. Black Gold Blues is Veirs at her most rocking and it's a mighty sound to behold while the metaphor of digging for gold transpires to a be a search for a romantic love. It's a wild and heady sound and makes me think if Liz Phair hadn't lost her mind she'd be producing songs like this.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment