Saturday, July 2, 2011

A song a day: Archers of Loaf - Web in Front


When it comes to Archers it's always a toss up between Web in Front, Wrong and Scenic Pastures. I probably should have put Scenic Pastures because I love that song so much and Web in Front is so obvious because it's their most famous song but there you go. Web always tends to win as two of my favourite lines ever written are in this song. They are:

You're not the one who let me down, but thanks for offering.

And

And there's a chance that things will get weird, yeah that's a possibility.

Huh? What I love about these lines is that they are so mundane in some respects but perfectly convey the sense of confusion, disappointment and bitterness that you feel in certain situations. Archers were always seen as the working man's band, the quality indie band that never really broke widely (as is evidenced by their current reunion tour which is only happening on weekends because they all have day jobs). I actually think they're a bit to weird and challenging for mainstream indie fans but that's their loss - the Archers of Loaf are the greatest band most people have never heard.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment