Saturday, July 30, 2011

A song a day: The Posies - Dream All Day


Big chords, copious harmonies and choruses as catchy as bacteria from a toddler - must be power pop. While I like Big Star, Teenage Fanclub and Fountains of Wayne et al, there is always a place in my heart for the Posies especially the Frosting on the Beating record. Essentially, it's one big long greatest hits set with pretty much song being a contender on the planet Pop. Choosing one of those songs was difficult but I thought I'd stick with the actual single because the chorus power popperiffic and somehow the sentiment of dreaming all day seems to fit the sentiment of the genre. I never really knew why this band wasn't bigger but I saw them at a festival a few years ago when they were up against some hip indie band and there was probably about fifty people watching them. They seemed to not care and put on one of the most entertaining, unhinged and fun shows I've seen in ages - all while maintaining their perfect pop sheen. The hipster kids missed out that day.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment