Friday, July 1, 2011

A song a day: Mogwai: I Know You Are But What Am I?


Hidden towards the end of Happy Songs, could this be Mogwai's simplest and most moving song? Revolving around a plaintive and simple piano motif, this songs aches and speaks in a way that only the best music can. That it is an instrumental track speaks volumes of the genius of Mogwai who can use either distorted brute force or a single piano to the same effect - an emotive force that sweeps the listener into their own introspective space. Whenever I hear those opening notes my heartbeat slows, a chill goes up my spine and my gaze turns inward. I can't explain it but this song just moves me in ways that haunts my dreams. Remember to play this one at my funeral.

--

2 comments:

  1. +10.

    it's just superb.

    great track - what music should be.

    great album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. I love this album and that track.

    I have used it 3-4 times as temp music for projects I have edited because of how it says so much but so simply. It's gorgeous.

    x K

    ReplyDelete