Saturday, August 6, 2011

A song a day: Alabama 3 - Woke up this morning


Whenever I go to the movies and hear the 20th Century Fox music at the beginning of a movie, my mind immediately thinks that Star Wars is about to start because that music is intractably linked to that film from my childhood. Similarly, whenever I hear that static followed by a clarion call of HBO, my mind immediately imagines that The Sopranoes is about to begin. Regardless of whether it is True Blood, Game of Thrones or Entourage about to begin, my mind is geared to hear the warbling bass of Woke up this morning - every single time. The Sopranoes were big for me, I mean has there anyone so simultaneously charismatic, attractive and repulsive as Tony Soprano? At some point, I downloaded the Alabama 3 track and used to listen to it on my way to work imagining that my life was far more exciting and dangerous than it was. I think it's strange that this bluesy number come from essentially an electronic band from the UK given its tie in the Jersey mob and the American basis of its sound. The original of the song is slightly different from the one featured on the show in that the lyrics are sung in the first person rather than the third person and it seems to miss the grittiness of the remix that is the more famous version. However, if you have Sopranoes-esque fantasies, this needs to be on your iPod.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment