Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A song a day: Mark Lanegan - One Hundred Days


I think I've written on this blog about thousand times that I think Lanegan could be the voice of the apocalypse. If I'm honest, One Hundred Days is my favourite song of his which is a million miles from the end of the world. It's not really ballad but a slow meditation on love lost through the haze of the city's underbelly filled with strung out junkies and prostitutes. What I really love is that there is a gentle optimism to the song that shines through the bleak setting - one day your ship will come in or as he sweetly sings:

There is no morphine, I'm only sleeping
There is no crime to dreams like this
And if you could take something with you
It would be right... something good


Musically, it's a low key, smokey vibe but Lanegan's vocals move from the regular hellfire growl to dulcet yearning that show the exceptional range of his voice. Lanegan is the man....

--

No comments:

Post a Comment