Monday, August 1, 2011

A song a day: Radical Face - Welcome home

I remember the exact moment I first heard this song a few years ago. My housemate Adam was cranking it in the living room and as I came down the stairs all I could say was 'I must have this immediately.' We grabbed some beers and listened to the entire album but there was nothing as compelling or immediate as Welcome Home on it. I was reminded of the song recently when it turned up on some ad and despite it seemingly to be have used in every commercial ever created, the song still sounds great to me. I think some people dismiss the song because of over familiarity but there are some great lyrics on this songs like 'sheets are swaying from an old clothesline like a row of captured ghost over over old dead grass.' However, I think the song captures that moment when you do return home (childhood, parental, your own) after some torment or trauma and experience that bittersweet feeling of safety and that things will never be the same again.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment