Friday, March 25, 2011

Yuck: Yuck Review


Recently, Matt blogged an eloquent post about the circularity of music and how even though you may be out of the cultural loop, it will get back to you eventually. Listening to Yuck, I feel much the same way because it seems to be the perfect distillation of every major indie band of the 90's and seems genetically designed to make me happy.

Now, it's contrived to say that in some secret laboratory, scientists are working on producing the perfect band that will appeal to me but that's how this album feels (by the way, if there are scientists undertaking this kind of research, keep it up). However, I feel anyone of a similar age and musical pedigree will find something to enjoy in this album because it is so comfortable and familiar. Actually, you could make a drinking game out of it.

Yuck drinking game instructions
: Every time you identify a moment in a Yuck song that sounds like another band, yell out the band it reminds you of and take a shot.

Before you know it, you'll be yelling out things like Dinosaur Jnr, Lemonheads, Sugar, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Archers of Loaf, My Bloody Valentine etc... I think it's safe to say that if you like any of these bands, you will like this album. However, while some derivative music drives me nuts, I can't say I mind it here because the songs are actually pretty good. They haven't quite gone from 'spot the reference' to 'embedded in my brain in their own right' yet but with each listen, I think I like them more and more.

I guess the sticking point is could they have thought of a worse fucking name? I mean Yuck? Seriously? I think this band name might be a decision they come to regret. If you can overcome the name, these guys and girl are worth checking out.

Update: I think this music should be used in every film starring either Ellen Page or Michael Cera.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment