Monday, June 27, 2011

A song a day: Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries


If you don't know Clint Mansell, he was the guy Bono stole the whole Fly/Zoo TV thing from. As lead singer of Pop Will Eat Itself, Mansell was rocking that type of post-modern take on media years before U2 got around to it (as well as the vinyl suit and shades). Since PWEI split up, Mansell has been keeping himself busy by largely doing soundtrack work for pretty much every Darren Aronofsky since Pi. I'm particularly a fan of his work on The Fountain soundtrack that featured Mogwai but my favourite pieces are the Lunar Industry themes from the Moon Soundtrack.

If you haven't seen Moon you're an idiot because it's a low budget sci fi masterpiece directed by Duncan Jones* but that idiocy can be rectified by a trip to any local dvd store. As soon, as the major piano theme kicked in when I was watching the movie I knew that I had to have the soundtrack immediately. I find the music so haunting and moving that it has this weird effect where it almost puts me in a trance - I just become calmer and meditative. That being said, I gave a copy of this to a friend who said they wanted to slash their wrists after listening to it. Yeah, it's that good.

(*Yeah, I purposely didn't mention that Duncan Jones was related to a more famous musician named Jones so no need to be a smart arse about it).

--

No comments:

Post a Comment