Sunday, June 12, 2011

A song a day: Never Tear Us Apart - INXS



There's nothing I hate more than a 80's ballad with a cod sax solo. This could only be made worse when it's by a band who has systematically pissed on, robbed and burnt down their legacy and self respect after the death of their singer - enter INXS. Despite everything that went wrong since Michael Hutchence's death (the endless cash in's, the reality show, Terence Trent D'Arby), I cannot bring myself to hate this song because it is romantic in a way only romantic ballads could be in the 80's. Maybe it's the video set in Prague, the bracing guitar line that cuts through it or the sentiment by a band at the height of their commercial powers, there is something divine about this song. I can understand why I'll be dismissed as cheesy for liking it but in may ways it is perfect. Don't fight it, just embrace it.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment