Thursday, June 23, 2011

A song a day: Das Racist - Hahahaha jk?


Josh Homme once said something along the lines of that he took nothing seriously except his music. When I listen to Das Racist, I get the same vibe because while their lyrics are funny as hell and the music is fueled by self-knowing samples, there is an underlying seriousness that never makes the music disposable. I guess the chorus maybe addresses this:

We're not joking, just joking
We are joking, just joking
We're not joking.


The main sample of Hahahaha is the theme to Days of our lives but once the song kicks off, this isn't funny but provides the perfect skeleton for some old school hip hop ambiance. While there is some low key hip hop boasting like "Call me Dwight Schrute the way I eat beats" the rhymes are considered and clever. In particular, I love the section where they say "We not racist, we love white people! Ford trucks, apple pies!" and then go onto list the accomplishments of white civilization - namely junk food that is perfect for the munchies. As stated, this is funny stuff but underlying the joke is some serious hip hop.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment