Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reformation of the nation (updated)


It was with some excitement today that I read the 2011 Coachella line up. Sure, I'll never go and the line up is amazing (Arcade Fire. PJ Harvey. The National. DURAN DURAN!). But what has gotten me the most excited is the announcement that Death From Above 1979 have reformed. Sure it's one show in the US but I absolutely love You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. To say I'm excited just by the thought of those guys performing is like saying cops like doughnuts and I'll probably have to stay up all night watching the Coachella webcasts to watch them.

That being said, I think it's important to define the four types of reformations:

1. Reformations no one wants and have no artistic merit: These are bands that any reasonable music fan was happy to see split up and would be grateful if they never played a single note of music again. These include the Vengaboys and the Eagles - personally I prefer the Vengaboys in that equation.

2. Reformations which may be for cash but are awesome nonetheless: I think the Pixies are a prime example of this but there is one important distinction in these reformations - these bands should never release any new music. Let's face it, the Pixies back catalogue is amongst the holy canon of indie music. If they attempted to make a new album, how could it be anything other than a disappointment compared to their previous albums?

3. Reformations that reunite something that burnt out far too soon or bands that just simply have more rock awesomeness to give: This is where I'd put Death From Above 1979 and I'd totally support the release of any new material from them. Also in this category would be Wire who have reformed numerous times but keep releasing awesome albums.

4. Reformations that will never happen because all the members hate each other: Hüsker Dü. Good times.

Let's hope Death From Above 1979 tour Australia soon.

Update: this week also saw the first reunion show of the Archers of Loaf. I think they could be in category 3. Here's Web in Front that features one of my favourite lines in music - And there's a chance that things'll get weird... Yeah, that's a possibility.



--

1 comment:

  1. Superchunk need to go into category three....saw them last year and they were amazing.
    Duran Duran also need a category of their own "Bands who reform and should be nothing but brilliant but turn out to suck on a whole new level". Saw them play a couple years ago and aside from Simon Le Bon's white jeans (gah!) it was a really shit gig. There are only so many saxaphone solos one can take in the name of kitsch.

    ReplyDelete